Build a sustainable future with a Company that puts YOU in the driver’s seat of your career! The Milwaukee County Transit System is proud to have a diverse workforce that’s committed to connecting our community to jobs, education and life with essential transit services, while upholding our values of respect, integrity, excellence, equity, collaboration and innovation.
MCTS Employees will receive:
- Paid CDL Training
- Employee Referral Bonuses*
- Paid Vacation, Holidays, Personal Days, Sick, Funeral leave and Jury Duty
- Medical, Dental and Prescription Drug Insurance
- Defined Pension Plan (Funded 70% by The Milwaukee County Transit System and 30% by employees)**
- 457 Deferred Compensation Savings Plan
- Health and Wellness Incentives
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Company-Paid Life Insurance
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Eyewear and Gym Membership Reimbursement
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
- Career Advancement Opportunities
- Free bus rides for all MCTS active employees and retirees!
This position develops curriculum and facilitates training programs for Maintenance employees. The training programs include safety, vehicle service and repairs. The Safety and Training Instructor develops and delivers the curriculum and lesson plans that are used in classroom training and schedules the appropriate follow-up actions for Maintenance employees within all divisions. This position indirectly And directly supervises mechanics that serve as trainers within the shops and garages. The Safety and Training Instructor also conducts mandated safety and OSHA training as required in other departments and conducts vehicle accident investigations according to DOT standards.
- Develops curriculum for any and all equipment including tooling, air conditioning, brakes, suspension, transmission and clean air engines and vehicles new or old.
- Indirectly supervises trainers assigned to Garages and Fleet Maintenance and works with them to develop training for new and existing bus technologies.
- Works closely with the assigned location trainers to identify and develop a training plan of action for all new Maintenance personnel.
- Provides Training to all staff at all three (3) locations and all three (3) shifts.
- Maintains Tire Safety certification and recertify every three (3) years.
- Provides required training to certify all mechanics in tire safety.
- Administers practical (hands on) training for current and external applicants for Maintenance department positions.
- Performs vehicle accident and incident investigations and writes post-accident report following DOT (Department of Transportation) standards. Facilitates and assists with vehicle inspection for third parties (Police, lawyers and DOT inspectors).
- Assists mechanics with parts acquisitions; locates and orders specialty tools.
- Assists with the research on specifications of new vehicles for department.
- Provides OSHA training for all associated staff and demonstrates safe work operations and use of equipment.
- Schedules and oversees vendor training classes for all mechanics.
- Performs monthly OSHA required building safety inspections and coordinates corrective actions and plans for deficiencies.
- Assist with accident investigations and transporting employees for mandatory alcohol and drug testing.
- Maintain all employee training records.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Five (5) years of heavy/light duty mechanical repair experience in diesel service or battery-operated bus technology is required. Experience must include but should not be limited to: Electrical schematics, heating and air conditioning, transmission and chassis, Cummins ISL 9 clean air diesel technology/Cummins Insite Program.
- Must have a valid, Class D Wisconsin driver’s license (non-probationary) for at least one (1) year prior to date of application.
- Valid Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with Passenger Endorsement and no airbrake restriction (or valid CDL permit 14 days prior to start or transfer date).
- Experience in the creation and delivery of training programs with an emphasis in industrial safety and/or mechanical systems preferred.
- Associate degree in Diesel Equipment Technology or related field preferred.
- Must be able to work all three shifts (when necessary) to accomplish training objectives.
- Must pass all preemployment tests.
- Excellent attendance and overall work record.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Cummins ISL 9 clean air diesel technology/Cummins Insite Program.
- Knowledge of and ability to train employees on OSHA rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of Personal Protective Equipment.
- Knowledge of technical specifications.
- Ability to read, understand, create and present training curriculum and procedures on manufacturer specifications on component repair procedures.
- Ability to travel out-of-state for training purposes.
- Knowledge of bus subsystems troubleshooting and reading electrical schematics.
- Knowledge of hybrid and/or electric bus technology.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects. Ability to work independently.
- Ability to utilize various software programs including presentation tools.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships.
- Ability to obtain Tire Safety Certification and maintain recertification every three (3) years.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS:
- Work is frequently conducted in an office, vehicle or shop environment relatively free from unpleasant conditions or hazards. Incumbent may sometimes be exposed to hostile or irate individuals and extreme temperatures. Incumbent is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes and loud noises.
Effective November 30, 2021, Milwaukee County Transit System will require all employees to have completed COVID-19 vaccinations and provide proof of vaccination or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request. All persons offered a position will be required to provide proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination at time of hire or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request and been approved for an accommodation prior to hire.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
Milwaukee County Transit System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age; protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
* Restrictions may apply. Employee Referral Bonus Program applies to newly hired Bus Operators and "A" Mechanics only.
** 2023 Pension Contribution Rate: 3.51% of employee wages.
If you are interested in the position, please click here.