Milwaukee County Transit System Bus Operators drive in a safe, efficient, and courteous manner while adhering to a pre-determined route and schedule. This position exhibits excellent customer services skills and allows passengers to board, travel and alight at scheduled stops.
- Safely operate transit bus in strict compliance with Milwaukee County Transit System policies, guidelines, and procedures, as well as follow all Wisconsin and Federal traffic laws and regulations.
- Collect fares according to existing fare structure, inspect bus passes and issue valid transfers in a professional, courteous manner.
- Operate the radio, farebox and other systems within the bus in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Provide public timetables and accurate information to customers.
- Call street locations, transfer points, major intersections, and other requested stops in compliance with ADA guidelines and Company policy.
- Provide accessibility for disabled passengers to board and alight by properly operating all ramps and lifts and safely securing passengers in compliance with ADA guidelines and Company policy.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills when interacting with all passengers.
- Perform vehicle inspections before, during and after scheduled work assignments. This includes internal and external areas of the bus, reporting all defects on proper forms.
- Monitor Special Bulletins and detours daily and make appropriate adjustments as needed.
- Follow Company policy for handling lost articles including a visual inspection of the bus at the end of the line and at pull-in.
- Complete accident and incident reports accurately and legibly, as necessary.
- Complete fare box, passenger, and bus maintenance defect reports, as necessary.
- Conduct self in an appropriate manner as a representative of Milwaukee County Transit System.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to work any hour of the day, any day of the week.
- Must have a valid Class D Wisconsin driver’s license (non-probationary) for at least one (1) year prior to the date of application.
- Valid CDL Class B License with “P” Endorsement with no Air Brake restriction (or valid CDL permit 14 days prior to start date or transfer date).
- No more than four (4) points on Motor Vehicle Report during the three (3) years prior to date of application.
- No revocation or suspension of a driver’s license as a result of a moving violation during the three (3) years prior to date of application.
- No OWI’s (Operating While Intoxicated) during the five (5) years prior to date of application, and no more than one (1) OWI within the last fifteen (15) years prior to date of application.
- Stable work history with excellent attendance and punctuality record.
- Successfully complete the Bus Operator Training Program.
If interested, click here