SALARY: $5,842.00 - $7,508.00 Monthly $70,104.00 - $90,096.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 03/30/22 CLOSING DATE: Continuous
GENERAL OVERVIEW OF POSITION: This recruitment will remain open until the needs of the city have been met. Under direction of the Director of Transportation, the Operations Supervisor coordinates the operation and maintenance of the municipal bus system. Incumbent is responsible for personnel management, budget development and administration, and preparation of operational reports. Work is performed with considerable latitude and independent judgment, and is reviewed through conferences and written reports for results obtained. Assumes responsibility of department in Director's absence. Performs other work as requested or assigned.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs managerial work in directing the operation of the municipal transit system.
- Directs the selection, training and discipline of Transportation Department personnel.
- Schedules personnel.
- Assists in the preparation of the departmental budget.
- Prepares reports.
- Counts revenues and collects bus passes.
- Analyzes bus routes.
- Periodically investigates route scheduling or deviation including school transportation programs.
- Directs the maintenance of the Transit Department.
- Effectively supervises and recommends the hiring, discharge, assignment, evaluation, discipline and adjustment of grievances of subordinate employees.
- Inspects and recommends bus stops, bus shelters and other infrastructure for safe and efficient movement of passengers.
- Collects fare boxes from buses, streetcars, and Metra station parking lot Directs maintenance of municipal parking lots.
- Receives customer complaints and effectively resolves same.
- Occasionally performs all the required functions of the Transit Dispatcher.
- Reviews building plans for transit access. Investigates accidents.
- Supervises safety program.
- Orders uniforms, supplies, parts, tools and equipment, prepares purchase requisitions in accordance with budgetary constraints, maintains inventory and equipment records.
- Assists in the preparation of state and federal grant applications.
- May act as the representative of the Transit Director at various commission or committee meetings.
- May be called upon to drive fixed routes or school tripper routes.
- May assist in the operation of the parking facilities.
: The duties listed above are intended as illustrations of the various types of work performed by persons in positions covered by this classification specification. This list is not all inclusive. The omission of a particular job duty does not mean that the duty is not one of the essential functions of the position. Management reserves the right to assign employees in this classification to duties not listed above, if the duties are fairly within the scope of responsibilities applicable to the level of work performed by employees in positions covered by this classification specification. This classification specification does not create an employment contract between the City and the employee and is subject to change by the City as the needs of the City and the department change over time.
REQUIREMENTS: Training & Experience:
- Associate's Degree in Business or related field required.
- Bachelor's degree in Business or related field highly desired. Preference would be given to candidates with Bachelor's degrees.
- Education supplemented by six (6) years experience in transportation including four (4) years supervisory experience.
- Or, an equivalent combination of the above
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of heavy equipment maintenance.
- Knowledge of municipal budgeting procedures.
- Ability to operates buses.
- Ability to use Microsoft Excel and Word and type 30 wpm.
- Ability to set up PowerPoint presentations.
- Ability to understand basic accounting and spreadsheets. Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to direct the work activities of others.
- Ability to work reasonably well with others.
- Skill in management, vehicle maintenance, routing and scheduling procedures.
- Ability to handle reasonably necessary stress.
- Task involves the regular, and at times sustained, performance of heavier physical tasks such as walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, working in confined spaces, and lifting or carrying moderately heavy (20-50 pound) items and occasionally very heavy (100 pounds or over) items.
- Task may involve the complex operation of gasoline, electric, or diesel-powered machinery or shop equipment requiring the manipulation of multiple controls, fine adjustments or both.
- Task may involve the sustained operation, on a production basis, of such devices as offset presses with associated equipment.
- Task may require infrequent exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
- Task requires color perception and discrimination.
- Task requires sound perception and discrimination.
- Task requires odor perception and discrimination.
- Task requires depth perception and discrimination.
- Task requires texture perception and discrimination.
- Task requires visual perception and discrimination.
- Task requires oral communications ability.
- Possession of a valid commercial driver's license with Class B and endorsements for Air Brake and Passenger operation and a good driving record.
- May be required to provide a personal vehicle for use on the job.
METHOD OF SELECTION:
Selection will be based upon a review of education and experience to evaluate the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for successful job performance. Appointment will be made in accordance with City of Kenosha policy and Civil Service Rules and Regulations.
No person can be employed who has a relative already employed by the City of Kenosha in a position covered by the Civil Service Ordinance or who has a relative in any elected office/position in City of Kenosha government, as defined in Section V of the Civil Service Ordinance. "Relative" includes any member of the immediate household; or anyone whose relationship by blood or marriage is as close or closer than first-cousin, including "step" relationships; or any grandparent or grandchild.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT
Click here to start your application.