Milwaukee, WI, USA Req #118
Wednesday, November 10, 2021
Status: Represented – ATU 998
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Wage: $20.77 ($22.75/hour second year rate, $24.75/hour third year rate, $26.49/hour fourth year rate)
Milwaukee County Transit System Bus Operators drive in a safe, efficient, and courteous manner while adhering to a pre-determined route and schedule. This position exhibits excellent customer services skills and allows passengers to board, travel and alight at scheduled stops.
- Safely operate transit bus in strict compliance with Milwaukee County Transit System policies, guidelines, and procedures, as well as follow all Wisconsin and Federal traffic laws and regulations.
- Collect fares according to existing fare structure, inspect bus passes and issue valid transfers in a professional, courteous manner.
- Operate the radio, farebox and other systems within the bus in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Provide public timetables and accurate information to customers.
- Call street locations, transfer points, major intersections, and other requested stops in compliance with ADA guidelines and Company policy.
- Provide accessibility for disabled passengers to board and alight by properly operating all ramps and lifts and safely securing passengers in compliance with ADA guidelines and Company policy.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills when interacting with all passengers.
- Perform vehicle inspections before, during and after scheduled work assignments. This includes internal and external areas of the bus, reporting all defects on proper forms.
- Monitor Special Bulletins and detours daily and make appropriate adjustments as needed.
- Follow Company policy for handling lost articles including a visual inspection of the bus at the end of the line and at pull-in.
- Complete accident and incident reports accurately and legibly, as necessary.
- Complete fare box, passenger, and bus maintenance defect reports, as necessary.
- Conduct self in an appropriate manner as a representative of Milwaukee County Transit System.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to work any hour of the day, any day of the week.
- Must have a valid Class D Wisconsin driver’s license (non-probationary) for at least one (1) year prior to the date of application.
- Valid CDL Class B License with “P” Endorsement with no Air Brake restriction (or valid CDL permit 14 days prior to start date or transfer date).
- No more than one (1) moving violation and four (4) points on Motor Vehicle Report during the three (3) years prior to date of application.
- No revocation or suspension of a driver’s license as a result of a moving violation during the three (3) years prior to date of application.
- No OWI’s (Operating While Intoxicated) during the five (5) years prior to date of application, and no more than one (1) OWI within the last fifteen (15) years prior to date of application.
- Stable work history with excellent attendance and punctuality record.
- Successful completion of preemployment testing.
- Successfully complete the Bus Operator Training Program.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to operate New Flyer and Gillig Buses.
- Ability to effectively drive a bus, handle emergencies and use standard defensive driving techniques.
- Ability to adapt to constantly changing operating environments.
- Ability to work unusual hours, including split-shifts, weekends, holidays, early mornings, late nights, and overtime as required.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with passengers and staff.
- Ability to deescalate situations when they arise on the bus.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and common sense when making quick decisions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to read, write and speak loud, clear, understandable English.
- Ability to read and understand maps and timetables which includes determining directions and following a mapped route.
- Ability to keep a timely schedule while in service.
- Knowledge of streets, current bus routes and stops.
- Knowledge of Bus Operator rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of current fare structures, and the corresponding rules and regulations.
- Ability to purchase and wear company uniform.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS:
- Ability to tolerate varying temperatures including heat, cold and precipitation while inspecting exterior of bus.
- Ability to tolerate varying temperatures including excessive heat and cold while operating bus.
- Ability to climb stairs, reach above shoulder level, walk, bend, stoop, lift, push and pull without assistance.
- Ability to operate pedals.
- Ability to sit without discomfort for an extended period of time.
- Ability to fit behind the steering wheel with adequate clearance.
- Ability to work in an environment with dust, exhaust fumes, diesel fuel, oil, grease, and various noise levels.
- Physical requirements are those described light work exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly having to move objects.
- Ability to pass a physical with drug screen, including a PPFT (Pre-placement Functional Test) as it relates to the physical requirements of the essential functions of the job.
The above are general requirements that must be met for consideration. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of job qualifications or job duties. For more detailed job position information, please refer to the job description, which is available upon request from the Human Resources Department.
Milwaukee County Transit System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age; protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
You'll need to either have a sign in for MCTS or create one to apply to the posting. Click Here To Apply