ATU Local 998
Maintenance – Fond Du Lac Garage
$29.71 per hr. ($30.62/hr. second year rate)
The “A” Mechanic diagnoses and repairs all transit Vehicles and service vehicles on the road and in the garage. This position utilizes extensive experience in all mechanical areas to make proper repairs and perform preventive maintenance within the respective time standards.
- Repair all defects correctly on the following:
- Brakes and related mechanical components
- Air systems and components
- Fuel systems
- Doors and door mechanisms
- Heating and air conditioning systems
- Minor body repairs
- Wheelchair lift/ramp systems
- Serve as lead person on all inspections.
- Perform all road tests on all transit system vehicles.
- Operate all types of snow removal equipment in yard and sidewalk areas.
- Direct the work of lower classified employees.
- Maintain regular and acceptable attendance as determined by MTS.
- Perform other duties as assigned including any work as outlined for lower classifications.
- Valid Wisconsin Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with “P” endorsement with no airbrake restrictions.
- Must pass all required internal written and practical tests: Air Conditioning, Brakes and Chassis, Electrical, Engines and Transmissions; or current ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) Certification in the field of heavy-duty vehicle maintenance. ASE required certifications would be: Diesel Engines, Drive Train, Brakes, Suspension and Steering, Air Conditioning and Electrical/Electronic Systems.
- Must possess a complete complement of personal tools required to perform this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to use all required tools and equipment needed to perform all job-related tasks.
- Ability to perform all required duties with minimal supervision.
- Ability to meet and communicate effectively with people at all levels.
- Must be punctual and alert.
- Ability to exhibit good judgement and adaptability to various situations.
- Ability to maintain records in a neat, accurate and legible manner.
- Must be neatly dressed in Company uniform.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK CONDITIONS:
- Must be able to wear OSHA approved safety glasses and hearing protection for an eight-hour shift.
- Must be able to stand, stoop, reach to 82 inches in height, bend, twist and walk for an eight-hour shift.
- Must be able to grasp with both hands, twist both wrists and use both arms to push, pull, hold and carry items for an eight-hour shift.
- Must be able to lift and/or pull 75 lbs. from a standing position from the ground to shoulder height at a minimum of four times per hour for an eight-hour shift.
- Must be able to lift and/or pull 54 lbs. from a standing position from shoulder height to above the head or a minimum height of 58 inches at a minimum of four times per hour for an eight-hour shift.
- Must be able to see, with corrective lenses if necessary, to observe work and aid in hand/eye coordination.
- Must be able to speak and hear (English language required) over either radio or closed communication systems.
- Ability to work in an environment with dust, exhaust fumes, diesel fuel, oil, grease and various noise levels.
- Ability to pass a physical with drug screen, including a PPFT (Pre-placement Functional Test) as it relates to the physical requirements of the essential functions of the job.
The above are general requirements that must be met for consideration. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of job qualifications or job duties. For more detailed job position information, please refer to the job description, which is available upon request from the Human Resources Department.
Milwaukee County Transit System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age; protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any other characteristic protected by law.